Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Always something new to learn for when SHTF

I love fun acronyms. Take SHTF, for instance. On first glance, it looks like STFU, but no! It is "Shit Hits the Fan," referring to a possible total breakdown in infrastructure, etc.

For those of you who know me well, you know that I have this firm feeling that eventually, one way or another, the shit will hit the fan. For that reason (and just because I love to know how to do everything) I am always learning new crafts, skills, and trades. I rarely use powertools, and prefer the simplest setup on just about everything. For that reason, I'd like to share a few things that have tickled me this week.

Most know that I am an avid reloader, meaning I handload firearm ammunition from components. The advantage here is not being beholden to big manufacturers or the tide of the market (after the election, it was nigh impossible to find most calibers of ammunition). Also, the accuracy one can achieve with handloading is insane. Think of it as a custom-fit tailor-made suit verses one of the rack. Big difference, though they both work. Since I came into a large collection of reloading components after a friend's father passed away, I have been paring that collection down to the few components I can use and trading the rest for stuff I will use. I'm thoroughly enjoying that pursuit.

Also, I've been getting excited over the prospect of our new home in Hewitt, and the fact that my lovely wife is encouraging me to go ahead and spend the money to set up my smithy in the garage. I'm pricing anvils, looking at tools, and overall very excited. I hope to have it up and running by Christmastime.

Otherwise, this website and its ideas tickle my fancy: zombiehunters.org. A website of a group designed along the same lines as some of the survivalist militia groups, but with the MO of being prepared for Zombiepocalypse. In an age when most men (not to exclude women at all, merely discussing traditional pursuits) no longer engage in shooting, hunting, camping, fishing, or anything that their forefathers did, this provides an acceptable outlet for such skills to be learned. It's like the Boyscouts for Grown-Ups, with guns. I'm tempted to get involved, I will at least check them out.

A new thing that I am curious about this morning is HAM radio operation. It seems to be a wide and vast field, but the concept of amateur radio operators is a wonderful thing that I believe requires more investigation.

That's what is rolling around in my head since I'm home alone without Alex, but at least I get to see her again in a few days! :)

3 comments:

Alexandra Tomečková said...

For so many reasons, this is why I love you.

perfidia said...

I, too, am chomping at the bit to get a space set up for blacksmithing. I have considered making one of the brake drum forges. Are you familiar with them? I have perused various plans for making them, and it looks quite doable.....

I am dying to make more furniture using traditional joinery. It has been a while....

Elissa said...

You and Walt should talk about zombies.